The Planning Department administers and prepares long range planning for the City and provides professional guidance with current planning issues, the City Limits, and the Portland planning region. The Planning Department coordinates review of a project from concept to completion to ensure that all new and redevelopment projects comply with the city and state regulations.
Current Planning is the “face” of Planning and includes the following responsibilities, amongst others:
- Expertise and technical assistance in the review of Annexations, Rezoning, Subdivision Plats, Site Plans, Construction Documents, and various other requests.
- Site and Landscaping Inspections upon completion of site improvements.
- Administers performance agreements and sureties.
- Answers questions and addresses concerns from residents and stakeholders relating to the technical aspects of city development standards and polices.
- Prepares various items and recommendations for consideration by the following Portland entities: Board of Mayor and Aldermen (BOMA), Municipal-Regional Planning Commission (PC), Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA).
- Administering and updating the Zoning Ordinance, Subdivision Regulations, and other applicable City Ordinances.
Long Range Planning
Long Range Planning includes the following responsibilities, amongst others:
- Engaging the community in long-range planning initiatives through various committees, task forces, community groups, non-profits, and citizens.
- Conducting special studies and preparing reports and other community-based plans.
- Providing recommendations about future land use, transportation, and development based on the Land Use and Transportation Plan and other guiding city documents.
- Assisting the Planning Commission in periodic maintenance of the Land Use and Transportation Plans, including major updates and amendments, and providing Staff review of applicant requests for amendments.
- Presenting various items and recommendations for consideration by the Planning Commission and Board of Mayor and Aldermen.
Portland is a member of the Nashville Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO). More information regarding the MPO is available at http://www.nashvillempo.org/