This position reports to the Water Distribution Supervisor or Water Distribution Crew Leader. Work to be performed is the maintenance and construction of water system(s) and is an entry-level job. Duties also include support services for other employees in the department. The Supervisor will check work as it is being done, and reviews completed work.
- Performs general plumbing and pipe fitting work such as pipe connections, laying pipe, making taps, and repairing leaks, setting and repairing fire hydrants;
- Operates various types of heavy and light equipment when necessary
- Handles utility office work orders;
- Performs routine maintenance of tools and equipment
- Regularly cleans and maintains vehicles, equipment and facility
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Working knowledge of materials and equipment used in the installation, maintenance and repair of water mains and service lines;
- Understanding of occupational health and safety precautions;
- Ability to read, understand, and follow both verbal and written instructions;
- Ability to read water meters and read maps;
- Ability to perform pipefitting and maintenance of waterline;
- Ability to work under extreme weather conditions and for extended periods of time;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others employees and customers;
- Maintain an acceptable work performance and attendance record.
The employee is required to see, hear and talk and use hands to grasp and squeeze; arms to reach overhead; and walk, sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch/crawl and stretch. The employee routinely lifts 25 pounds; occasionally will move 50-70 pounds.
Work is often performed outdoors and in inclement weather for over 8 hours at a time. Wearing of task assigned PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) is required. The employee will work with shop and industrial tools.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY ONLINE or an application may be obtained from the receptionist at Portland City Hall upon request Monday through Friday 8 am – 4:30 pm. A detailed job description is also available from the receptionist upon request.
Completed applications must be returned to City Hall by: until filled.
Attn: Human Resources
100 South Russell Street
Portland, Tennessee 37148
Post-offer, Pre-employment background check, drug screen and physical required.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits after applicable waiting periods.