This entry-level employee helps operate and maintain the wastewater treatment plant. The employee may also perform a variety of general labor activities such as operation of a truck, mower, general mechanical repairs, painting, etc. The employee is under the direct supervision of the Wastewater Treatment Plant Chief Operator/Supervisor. Work is generally routine and is accomplished in accordance with established policies, procedures and practices. This employee will operate a truck and may operate a mower, hand tools, computer, self-contained breathing apparatus, portable pump, generator, Spec 20, D.O Meter, tetrameter, PH meter, mettler balance, COD reactor, muffle furnace, microscope, autoclave, tractor, rodding machine, power tools, copier, calculator, distillation apparatus, and other equipment as needed.
Other duties may be assigned. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Conducts bacteriological and chemical test required by state and federal regulations;
• Adds proper treatments to wastewater;
• Completes a variety of reports as required by local, state, and federal regulations;
• Performs plant checks;
• Conducts lab work to determine the quality of wastewater;
• Moves solid waste from one area to another through the use of pumps;
• Performs laboratory tests relating to PH, dissolved oxygen, settability, BOD, COD, ammonia, fecal coliform and various other microscopic tests;
• Participates in standard maintenance and repairs of equipment;
• Complies with city, state, and federal laws, rules and regulations relating to the process of wastewater treatment;
• Performs general maintenance and general labor activities such as mowing grass, spraying and weed-eating, picking up debris, painting, etc.;
• Performs or assists with repairs on light and heavy equipment;
• Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to learn and master knowledge of lab’s testing procedures and techniques;
- Ability to understand detailed procedures;
- Ability to obtain knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations;
- Ability to read and calculate formulas;
- Ability to obtain knowledge of then practice appropriate occupational safety and hazard procedures and wear assigned Personal Protective Equipment (PPE);
- Ability to diagnose and resolve problems within the wastewater treatment system;
- Ability to understand and follow moderately complex written and verbal instructions, read, write legibly and make accurate arithmetic calculations;
- Ability to learn theory and practice of modern wastewater treatment and of the machines, equipment and materials used in such treatment;
- Ability to establish working relationships with city officials, other employees and the general public.
- Must have an excellent attendance and work record.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Some work outdoors is required when taking samples and monitoring equipment and water. Inclement weather may be experienced. Balance of work is performed indoors. The employee may be exposed to fumes, chemicals, toxic substances and high places. Will also work with sharp tools and hazardous machinery with moving parts, excessive noise, dirt and dust.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY ONLINE or an application may be obtained from the receptionist at Portland City Hall upon request Monday through Friday 8 am – 4:30 pm. A detailed job description is also available from the receptionist upon request.
Completed applications must be returned to City Hall by: until filled.
Attn: Human Resources
100 South Russell Street
Portland, Tennessee 37148
Post-offer, Pre-employment background check, drug screen and physical required.