This employee works under the direction and supervision of the Wastewater Collection Supervisor in the construction, maintenance and repair of the wastewater collection facilities. The employee will use a variety of hand tools and operate various types of heavy and light equipment including but not limited to a backhoe and rodding machine.
Sample duties and responsibilities include:
- Performing basic electrical wiring;
- Reading utility and construction plans and blue prints;
- Performing general plumbing and pipefitting work.
- Performing preventive maintenance;
- Assisting customers in water and sewer service problems; and
- The cleaning and upkeep of shop equipment and tools.
- High School diploma or GED;
- Experience in performing heavy manual work;
- Valid Driver’s License;
- Must have and maintain good work and attendance records.
The employee regularly performs heavy manual labor including the ability to lift, carry, push and/or pull up to 75 lbs. frequently. Work is generally performed outdoors and the employee will be exposed to extreme weather conditions, sharp tools, machines with moving parts, excessive noise, dirt and dust. Workers are exposed to a variety of hazardous chemical agents used in water processing; are exposed to hazards related to work in confined spaces and must wear required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
Apply online at www.cityofportlandtn.gov or an application may be obtained from the receptionist at Portland City Hall upon request Monday through Friday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm.
A detailed job description is also available from the receptionist upon request.
Completed applications must be returned to City Hall by 4:30 pm until filled.
Attn: Human Resources
100 South Russell Street
Portland, Tennessee 37148
Post-offer, Pre-employment background check, drug screen and physical required.
The City of Portland is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Full benefit package available including vacation, sick days, paid holidays; health, dental, vision, life/AD&D, TCRS retirement and supplemental voluntary benefits.