This classification is to provide protection of life and property, enforcement of federal, state and local laws and ordinances, response to emergency/non-emergency situations, investigation of criminal activity, and specialized duties within as assigned division/unit. Work is performed under regular supervision.
Other duties may be assigned. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Patrols city and responds to service requests;
- Enforces laws and ordinances;
- Makes arrest;
- Testifies in court;
- Prepares records and files;
- Operates patrol vehicle on assigned shift to observe for violations of traffic laws, suspicious activities, or persons and disturbances of law and order;
- Responds to radio dispatches, answers calls and complaints;
- Issues citations to violators;
- Serves warrants;
- Provides police escorts and directs traffic;
- Performs residential and commercial checks;
- Fills out arrest records, fingerprints, photographs, etc.; performs prisoner security functions; completes traffic accident investigations;
- Reports unsafe conditions existing in streets or other public facilities;
- Assists with criminal investigations, conducts stakeouts, assists with presenting evidence, interviewing victims and witnesses, performs property and evidence duties;
- Inspects vehicles and notifies garage of necessary maintenance required;
- Participates in a variety of in-service training programs;
- Assists in training other officers;
- Performs supervisory duties in the absence of superior officer as assigned;
- Completes assignments to crime prevention, community policing, field training, special operations, technical support, or investigation operations as assigned;
- Performs Animal Control Officer duties in their absence;
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- write legibly and speak clearly;
- type reports using various computer programs;
- understand and carry out verbal and written instructions and prepare clear comprehensive reports;
- deal courteously but firmly with the public;
- analyze situations and adopt quick, effective and reasonable courses of action with due regard to surrounding hazards and circumstances;
- satisfactorily complete post-employment offer: physical exam, drug screen and background check.
- the use of firearms
- the operations of motor vehicles;
- interpersonal communication and conflict management;
- the use of all other Law Enforcement related equipment;
- Must have a high school diploma or GED; AND
- Have 3 years of full time (40 hour per week) responsible work experience; OR
- at least 2 years of active military duty and must not have been released or discharged under other than Honorable from any of the Armed Forces of the United States; OR A
- 2-year Associate’s degree or higher.
- Meet Minimum Standard Law (TCA 38-8-106) requirements (see attached);
- Meet the physical, psychological, criminal records and other standards for the assignment established by the Portland Police Department;
- Possess a valid Driver’s License;
- Must be a citizen of the United States;
- Must have an excellent work and attendance record;
- P.O.S.T. - Police certification must be obtained within six months of employment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee is regularly required to see, hear and talk as described below and perform the physical activities marked:
- Hear at normal levels in order to receive detailed information through verbal communications and/or to make fine distinction in sound;
- Visual acuity, with or without corrective lenses, for night vision, peripheral vision, preparing and analyzing written or computer data; and inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, use of measuring devices, operation of motor vehicle or equipment, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work and observing general surroundings and activities.
- Speaking clearly and concisely with appropriate volume and emphasis in both one-on-one and group situations.
- Police officers will be required to use physical force from time to time to subdue and apprehend suspects. Must have strength and stamina to pursue on foot, take down suspect and restrain appropriately.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The officer is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme weather, atmospheric conditions, noise, traffic and other hazards;
- Officer may be exposed to blood borne pathogens and is required to wear specialized PPE (Personal Protective Equipment).
- Works under very stressful conditions;
- Work nights, weekends, and holidays as required;
- All telephone, radio and in-building conversations are recorded;
- Subject to call out on any day, at any time
CLICK HERE TO APPLY ONLINE or an application may be obtained from the receptionist at Portland City Hall upon request Monday through Friday 8 am – 4:30 pm. A detailed job description is also available from the receptionist upon request.
Completed applications must be submitted or returned to City Hall by: Until Filled
Attn: Human Resources
100 South Russell Street
Portland, Tennessee 37148
Post-offer, Pre-employment background check, drug screen and physical required.
The City of Portland is an equal opportunity employer.
Full benefit package available including vacation, sick days, paid holidays; health, dental, vision, life/AD&D, TCRS retirement and supplemental voluntary benefits.