This position will vary with the seasons and by assignment, with respect to locations, hours and responsibilities. The position is very visible and is often the first contact people have with the Parks and Recreation Department. The employee provides a broad range of information to the community and city and reports to the Assistant Parks Director/Program Coordinator. Employee must be able to work with little supervision and deal with the public in a professional and courteous manner.
- Handles basic daily computer tasks;
- Interacts with the public and fellow employees daily;
- Answers telephone and takes messages, processes email;
- Provides general information such as contacts, directions, and events;
- Files necessary documents;
- Handles facility reservations and registrations;
- Performs general office duties;
- Takes admission fees and maintains accurate daily receipts;
- Turns money into Park Office after collection;
- Assists with special events;
- Safely and cleanly operates grill to prepare hamburgers and hot dogs;
- Cleans the cooking equipment and does general cleaning of the interior of the concession stands;
- Assists in inventory control and ordering of stock and supplies for concessions;
All assignments may include:
- Cleaning facilities, grounds and restrooms;
- Assisting with special events; and
- Performance of other related duties and responsibilities as required
- Effective verbal and written communication abilities;
- Proper telephone etiquette and pleasant speaking voice;
- Strong customer service skills and the ability to use them effectively;
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite); familiarity with modern office practices; and ability to use general office equipment such as copy/fax machines, computers, adding machines and other available office equipment
- Strong organizational skills; ability to accurately follow instructions; and ability to set priorities;
- Accurately handle money, make correct change and balance cash drawer;
- Knowledge and practice of safe food handling procedures;
- Ability to adapt productively to change; react quickly and calmly in emergency situations and professionally deal with difficult people.
- Valid driver’s license
- High school diploma or GED equivalent;
- Experience in office environment; cashier responsibilities and food preparation strongly preferred;
- Excellent attendance and work record
The employee will work in areas to support recreational activities scheduled at different times of the year. These include, but are not limited to, the administrative offices, the gym, the pool, special events, athletic fields, and other facilities. The employee will operate standard office equipment, a personal computer, copier, fax, telephone system, and other office equipment as needed. The employee will operate a cooking grill, electrical kitchen appliances and cooking tools, cleaning equipment, and motorized vehicles. The employee will work primarily inside, but may work outside seasonally. The employee may be exposed to loud noises, fumes and cleaning chemicals. Employee must wear required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
The employee is regularly required to see, talk and hear and perform the physical activities marked below:
Apply online at www.cityofportlandtn.gov or an application may be obtained from the receptionist at Portland City Hall upon request Monday through Friday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm.
A detailed job description is also available from the receptionist upon request.
Completed applications must be returned to City Hall until filled
Attn: Human Resources
100 South Russell Street
Portland, Tennessee 37148
Post-offer, Pre-employment background check, drug screen and physical required.
The City of Portland is an Equal Opportunity Employer.