This position is responsible for the safety of all swimmers along with the enforcement of all pool rules and regulations. The work is primarily outside in the sun and heat and the employee will be exposed to pool chemicals and loud noises. The employee must be able to deal with the public in a professional and courteous manner.
- Prevents accidents by enforcing pool rules, policies and procedures and ordinances governing the conduct of patrons using the pool;
- Performs rescue and first aid for all swimmers when needed;
- Documents any life-saving rescues or first aid treatments administered to a patron/swimmer and keeps all documents filed correctly;
- Interacts politely with facility patrons and acts as a role model for young children;
- Attends all meetings and training sessions for swimming pool staff;
- Maintain cleanliness of the pool, pool equipment, pool deck and walkways, lounge chairs, trash containers, lifeguard locker room and bathrooms;
- Performs a variety of miscellaneous duties such as running errands, working pool events/parties, set-up for special events, concessions and collecting fees and other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledgeable of the rules and regulations of pool use;
- Knowledge of safety procedures and the use of first aid and CPR;
- Working knowledge of the equipment, facilities, operations and techniques used in a comprehensive aquatics program;
- Ability to operate the listed tools and equipment;
- Ability to enforce the rules and regulations in an effective courteous manner;
- Ability to rescue people in trouble from the pool and administer appropriate first aid;
- Current Lifeguard Certification;
- Current CPR Certification;
- Ability to react quickly and calmly in emergency situations and professionally deal with difficult people;
- Learn to handle all pool equipment and devices;
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to use them effectively.
*NOTE: Must provide own Lifeguard Swimsuit with the “Lifeguard” logo on it.
Stays fit to perform job adequately which requires swimming endurance and strength. Lifeguards will regularly lift/carry/push/pull up to 25 lbs. and must have strength and stamina to perform a water rescue for another person’s wellbeing or welfare.
Work is performed outdoors in heat and direct sunlight at the city’s municipal pool during the summer season. Conditions can be crowded and noisy
CLICK HERE TO APPLY ONLINE or an application may be obtained from the receptionist at Portland City Hall upon request Monday through Friday 8 am – 4:30 pm. A detailed job description is also available from the receptionist upon request.
Completed applications must be submitted or returned to City Hall by: Until Filled
Attn: Human Resources
100 South Russell Street
Portland, Tennessee 37148
Post-offer, Pre-employment background check, drug screen and physical required.
The City of Portland is an equal opportunity employer.