This employee maintains the City’s streets and rights-of-way. The employee is under the direct supervision of the Street Supervisor. Duties include support services for other departments and employees. Instructions are somewhat general, though occasionally, the employee may need to consider different courses of action, or deviate from standard operating procedures to get the job done. The Supervisor will check work during the process and upon completion. The employee may serve as a lead worker over personnel in a lower classification. The employee will be required to drive tractors, pick-up, one-ton and dump trucks, mowers, salt spreaders, snowplows, rollers, booms, chippers and backhoe, and will use a variety of hand tools and small machinery.
The employee performs routine and repetitive work as part of a crew in the street department including:
• Operates various pieces of heavy equipment in the maintenance of city streets and rights-of-way;
• Responsible for routine maintenance of assigned heavy equipment;
• Assists co-workers to ensure proper attachment of equipment;
• Performs routine and repetitive work as part of the street crew, including but not limited to: collection and chipping of brush, trimming trees and mowing on city rights-of-way, road repairs, snow removal, and maintaining drainage ditches;
• Responds to complaints and service requests regarding street issues, including but not limited to: pot holes, flooding, right-of-way problems, traffic signals, and street lights. Will evaluate the situation and explain findings to supervisor;
• Regularly cleans and maintains street department facility, vehicles and other machinery;
• Operates hydraulic tools;
• Performs other duties as assigned within department and assists other departments as necessary.
• Satisfactory post-offer, pre-employment physical examination, drug test and background check required;
• Subject to mandatory ongoing random drug and alcohol testing to comply with DOT regulations;
• Ability to understand and follow instructions; Ability to drive and operate heavy equipment;
• Ability to safely meet the physical demand requirements of the job;
• Ability to drive and operate light equipment;
• Ability to understand and follow instructions;
• Ability to use various hand tools, hydraulic tools and small machinery;
• Knowledge of occupational hazards and work zone safety;
• Ability to work in and tolerate extreme weather conditions;
• Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with other employees and the public; and
• Must maintain a good work and attendance record.
The employee will be required to use hands and fingers to grasp, feel and handle objects, operate tools and controls, and to reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to walk, sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and have sense of smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds, with assistance. The employee is regularly required to see, hear, talk and perform the physical activities marked below, and must occasionally ride heavy equipment for long periods of time.
Work is generally performed outdoors and the employee will be exposed to: extreme weather conditions, sharp tools, dangerous machinery with moving parts, excessive noise, dirt, and dust. The employee may be exposed to fumes, chemicals, toxic substance, and high places. Employee must wear required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
• Valid driver’s license
• CDL required
• High school diploma or GED required
- 2+ years’ experience in heavy equipment operation; and
- Prior experience in manual labor preferred.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY ONLINE or an application may be obtained from the receptionist at Portland City Hall upon request Monday through Friday 8 am – 4:30 pm. A detailed job description is also available from the receptionist upon request.
Completed applications must be returned to City Hall until filled.
Attn: Human Resources
100 South Russell Street
Portland, Tennessee 37148
Post-offer, Pre-employment background check, drug screen and physical required.
This position has benefits available including vacation, sick days, paid holidays, health, dental, vision, life/AD&D, TCRS retirement and supplemental voluntary benefits.