The employee is responsible for all activities related to the care and maintenance of the golf course, grounds and equipment. Responsible for determining maintenance problems and determining an appropriate course of action. Develop and supervise a preventative maintenance program, facility/equipment inspections and a routine maintenance schedule. Will supervise the maintenance staff and other support services under the general supervision of the Parks and Recreation Director. Instructions are general, requiring the employee to use general sound judgement.
Other duties may be assigned. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Supervises and delegates tasks to full time and part time maintenance employees
- Responsible for typed weekly and monthly reports
- Wears Personal Protective Equipment at all times when required
- Maintain the golf course in excellent playing conditions according to industry standards
- Maintain a safe, productive work environment and ensure that standards are met and the golf course continually improves
- Supervise course construction projects and all planting and care of turf and plants
- Per maintenance specifications, direct and supervise cultural practices involved in growing various turf grasses including maintenance of greens, fairways and tees
- Responsible for maintenance of bunkers, bodies of water, roughs, trees, ornamental plants, maintenance shop and grounds, cart maintenance and clubhouse landscape and maintenance
- Oversee and maintain the operation of the irrigation system throughout the property
- Responsible for the scheduling of maintenance work
- Must be able to communicate effectively with the public and employees of the city
- Perform additional duties or emergency duties after normal work hours when requested by supervisor or designee
- Perform general carpentry, plumbing and electrical repair
- Expected to locate needed equipment, parts or services from qualified vendors in compliance with purchasing guidelines
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of principles of supervision
- Knowledge of basic computer skills and operate general office equipment
- Knowledge of safe practices used in the operation of assigned equipment
- Extensive knowledge of soils and turf
- Extensive knowledge of fertilizers and chemicals used in golf course maintenance
- Irrigation control system experience
- Knowledge of facility and ground maintenance
- Knowledge of the routine care and use of motor vehicles
- Knowledge of the materials and equipment used in general maintenance
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions
- Ability to operate assigned equipment and tools properly and safely
- Ability to effectively direct the work of subordinates
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to lift heavy objects, walk and stand for long periods of time and perform strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing
- Ability to understand, to follow, and to transmit written and oral instructions
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with employees, supervisors, and the public
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED
- Five (5) Years experience in turf grass management required
- Prior supervisory experience preferred
- Must have an excellent work and attendance record
- Must have valid driver’s license.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee will operate light duty vehicles, mowers, tractors, weed eaters, sprayers, and other maintenance equipment. Work is generally performed outdoors regardless of weather conditions and work involves exposure to chemicals, dirt, dust, grease, and moving parts of machinery. Work is performed typically standing, walking, bending, climbing and frequently lifting objects weighing 25 to 50 pounds;
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is generally performed outdoors regardless of weather conditions and work involves exposure to chemicals, dirt, dust, grease, and moving parts of machinery.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY ONLINE or an application may be obtained from the receptionist at Portland City Hall upon request Monday through Friday 8 am – 4:30 pm. A detailed job description is also available from the receptionist upon request.
Completed applications must be returned to City Hall by: until filled.
Attn: Human Resources
100 South Russell Street
Portland, Tennessee 37148
Post-offer, Pre-employment background check, drug screen and physical required.
This position has benefits available including vacation, sick days, paid holidays, health, dental, vision, life/AD&D, TCRS retirement and supplemental voluntary benefits.