This position is under the direction of the Gas Department Supervisor, responds to Customer Service issues and performs maintenance and minor construction of the natural gas system. The employee routinely operates a light duty vehicle, locators, leak detectors, hand tools, generators, a CGI (Combustible Gas Indicator) meter, odorometer and CO (carbon monoxide) detector. Work is generally performed outdoors. Employee will also provide support services for other employees in the department. Instructions are general and routine requiring occasional consideration of different courses of action, or deviation from standard operating procedures. The supervisor spot checks work as it is being done.
Other duties may be assigned. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Resolves customer complaints;
- Locates valve boxes and gas mains and marks locations to comply with TN One-Call Program;
- Handles Utility Office work orders and rereads meters;
- Checks gas leaks;
- Lights pilot lights;
- Turns service/meters off and on for customers;
- Operates various types of light equipment when necessary;
- Operates light duty vehicles;
- Regularly cleans vehicle and equipment provided and sees to the service records on the vehicle;
- Installs meters and set regulators;
- Performs leakage and patrolling surveys of gas distribution;
- Operates a computer with GIS (Geographical Information Systems) capability;
- Occasionally required to fill in on maintenance crew and assist with repairs;
- Works “on call” nights and weekends as scheduled;
- Interacts positively with the public;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prior knowledge and experience of natural gas systems is preferred;
- Verifiable positive work and attendance histories;
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations pertaining to the operations of a natural gas system;
- Knowledge of occupational health and safety practices;
- Ability to read and understand maps, plans, and schematics;
- Ability to read, understand and follow written and verbal instructions;
- Ability to read gas meters;
- Ability to use necessary tools and equipment to perform the job;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and customers;
- Complete Operator Qualifications Certification for gas operators;
- Must comply with RSPA (Research and Special Program Association) regulations which require pre-employment and random drug screenings and breath alcohol testing.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. equivalent.
- 2+ years work experience in a hands-on and/or technical role;
- Some customer service experience is preferred.
- Valid Driver’s license
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Majority of work is performed outdoors where employee will be exposed to extreme weather conditions. The employee may be exposed to fumes, chemicals, toxic substances and high places. Will also work with sharp tools and hazardous machinery with moving parts, excessive noise, dirt and dust. Employee must wear required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
CLICK HERE TO APPLY ONLINE or an application may be obtained from the receptionist at Portland City Hall upon request Monday through Friday 8 am – 4:30 pm. A detailed job description is also available from the receptionist upon request.
Completed applications must be submitted or returned to City Hall by: Until Filled
Attn: Human Resources
100 South Russell Street
Portland, Tennessee 37148
Post-offer, Pre-employment background check, drug screen and physical required.
The City of Portland is an equal opportunity employer.