Zoning divides the City and Planning Region into districts for the purpose of regulating land use and development. Each district has specific requirements regarding uses allowed, building heights, minimum setbacks from property lines, lot coverage and minimum lot area.
Purpose of Zoning
Zoning is designed to:
- Lessen congestion in the streets
- Secure safety from fire, panic, and other dangers
- Provide adequate light and air
- Prevent the overcrowding of land
- Avoid undue concentration of population
- Facilitate the adequate provision of transportation, water, sewerage, schools, parks, and other public requirements.
They have been made with reasonable consideration, among other things, as to the character of each district and its suitability for particular uses, and with a view of conserving the value of buildings and property and encouraging the most appropriate use of land throughout the city.
Download and print