The Board of Zoning Appeals is authorized under the Combined Zoning Ordinance of the City of Portland, Tennessee and the Portland Planning Region and as provided for by Sections 13-7-205 and 13-7-304, Tennessee Code Annotated.
5:00 PM 1st Tuesday of every month in the Council Chamber.
See Official Calendar for meeting dates.
Deadline for Submittal
4:30 PM 3rd Wednesday of every month.
See Official Calendar for submittal dates.
The Board of Zoning Appeals is established as two boards the Municipal Board of Zoning Appeals and the Regional Board of Zoning Appeals. The Municipal Board of Appeals which shall have jurisdiction within the corporate limits of the city shall consist of five (5) members, all of whom shall be bona fide residents of the City at the time of their appointment and who shall continue to reside within the City as long as they serve. The Regional Board of Appeals which shall have jurisdiction within the Planning Region and outside of the corporate limits shall consist of three (3) members, all of whom shall live within the planning region but outside the city corporate limits.
The members of the Municipal Board of Zoning Appeals shall serve for five (5) year terms or until their respective successors are appointed and qualified, except that the Board first appointed shall serve respectively for the following terms: One for one year, one for two years, one for three years, one for four years, and one for five years.
The members of the Regional Board of Zoning Appeals shall serve for three (3) year terms or until their respective successors are appointed and qualified, except that the Board first appointed shall serve respectively for the following terms: One for one year, one for two years, and one for three years.
Powers of the Board
The Board is hereby vested with the powers to:
- Hear and decide appeals from any order, requirement, decision, or determination made by the Zoning Administrator in carrying out the enforcement of this ordinance, whereby it is alleged in writing that the Zoning Administrator is in error or has acted in an arbitrary manner.
- Hear and act upon application for variances in accordance with Chapter 4 of this article.
- Hear and act upon applications for conditional use permits in the manner and subject to the standards set out in Chapter 5 of this article.
- Hear and decide all matters referred to it, on which it is required to act under this ordinance or by statute.
- Interpret the boundaries of the flood hazard districts on appeal from a decision of the Zoning Administrator.
- Within its budget appropriation and other funds at its disposal, enter into contracts for such services as it may require.
- Interpret the Zoning Maps in cases of dispute.