Third party contractors will be performing natural gas meter upgrades around the Portland community over the next few weeks. These contractors will work Monday – Friday 8:00AM – 5:00PM. The contractor doing the work is Utilitech and each upgrade is a fairly quick process.
Traffic through the City of Portland has increased greatly and in an attempt to provide safer roadways, on May 6, 2019 the Portland City Council adopted Ordinance #19-37, to amend Municipal Code Title 15, Chapter 1, by adding a new Section 126, to read:
- As used in this section, the term “truck” shall mean any vehicle equipped with three (3) or more axles.
- Unless otherwise posted, it shall be unlawful for any truck fitting this description to operate in the left-hand lane, on roads, streets or highways with two (2) lanes allowing for movement in the same direction, except when the truck is actually preparing for a left turn or avoiding a hazardous condition.
- The City may designate specific roads and lanes that either prohibit or allow trucks. Where truck usage has been so designated and indicated as such by proper signage, it shall be unlawful for any truck to operate in any lanes or on any roads or streets other than as designated.
- Any person driving, or in charge, or in control of a truck as defined in the preceding section when upon roads, streets or lanes other than those designated as truck routes or allowed in this code, shall be prepared to present for inspection by police officers the log book, weight slips, delivery slips, or other written evidence of the destination and point of origin to justify the presence of the restricted vehicle on a street other than a designated truck route or lane.
- All trucks must obey the height, width, length and weight restrictions for all areas within the City.
- If any designated truck route, or portion thereof, shall be under repair or otherwise temporarily out of use, restricted vehicles shall use other temporary truck routes as may be designated by the City.
We are providing advance notice as a courtesy in the event you wish to distribute the information to the trucking companies and/or independent truckers who serve your facility and travel through the City of Portland.
Road signs will be erected to reflect this change. Full enforcement will begin September 1, 2019.
The FREE 2019 Music on Main Concert Series in Portland, TN has a great lineup set for this year! Mark your calendars for the below dates & plan to join us on Main Street! All the concerts will begin at 7pm, but feel free to come early to get a seat and visit our sponsor booths that will be set up with giveaway items! There will also be a food vendor at each concert or you can visit one of the restaurants on Main Street to grab a meal before the concert begins. Bring a lawn chair or rent a chair for $2 from the Portland Chamber of Commerce.
Thursday, June 13: Bucky Covington (Country)
Thursday, July 11: BAMM (Blues/Rock)
Saturday, August 10: Bizz & Everyday People (R&B)
For more information regarding these events: firstname.lastname@example.org or (615) 325-9032.
The annual membership will run from February 1, 2019 thru January 31, 2020.
- Use personal cart, storage rental and greens fee (INDIVIDUAL $1,000) (FAMILY $1,200)
- Use personal cart and greens fee (INDIVIDUAL $800) (FAMILY $950)
- No cart and greens fee (INDIVIDUAL $650) (FAMILY $800)
- (Can rent a cart for $5.00 prior to each round)
All items included are in Title 17 Policy for Sanitation Service Ord. # 18-19 (April 2, 2018)
- Trash cart handle should be on the house side and cart opening should be closest to the road. See example image below.
- Place trash cart 2 feet from the road.
Place trash cart at least 4 feet from mailbox or other object.
Place trash cart on the opposite side of driveway from your mailbox.
Do not place trash cart in ditch.
Do not place rocks, concrete, tires or dirt in garbage container. The city does not accept these items. Tires should be returned to tire dealers for disposal.
Do not place brush or limbs in trash cart. These items are collected separately and need to be placed by the roadside for pickup. Do not put junk, metal, trash or anything else in the brush pile except brush.
Please place trash cart at the street by 6:00 am, regardless of what time your trash is “normally” picked up. Sometimes we use a different driver and you could get missed.
City Code requires all garbage to placed inside your city purchased trash cart. Carts must be purchased at cost in the Utility Office at City Hall and delivered after payment.
Third-party carts will not be dumped.
For items too large for your trash cart, you may call us at 615-323-1437 to schedule a pickup. This pickup is not for dumping your trash a second time nor to pick up extra bags of household garbage which your can would not hold.
Thank you for your help.
City of Portland Sanitation Department