City of Portland
The City of Portland is proud to announce the Hometown Heroes banner program. This program serves as a tribute to recognize the men and women from Portland, who have served or are serving our country in a branch of the military. Each individual banner is unique and will include their picture, their name, rank, branch of service, and era of service.
Heroes Banners Hometown
- The banners are 24” wide and 48” high and will be located on streets throughout the City.
- The banners will be displayed yearly from May until Veteran’s Day.
- Cost of banners $250.00 to families, individuals, sponsors, and civic organizations. Accepted forms of payment: cash, check, money order, or credit/debit card (2.75% fee for card).
- The City will accept contributions of any amount to be used for the banner program.
- Applications can be found on our website: www.cityofportlandtn.gov.; or the business office at City Hall, 100 S. Russell Street, Portland.
- Applications will be accepted from October 1 until December 31 of each year.
- Only a limited number of applications will be accepted each year on a first come, first serve basis. The schedule is as follows:
2023 20 applications
2024 30 applications
2025 and beyond 50 applications
- Applications will only be accepted and processed with a fully completed application, photo, proof of service, proof of honorable discharge (if available), and payment. No applications will be accepted after December 31 or after the yearly limit has been met (the City will not hold the applications).
- A valid email must be provided. The City will send a proof of the banner to the email address in which a signature is required to verify the information on the banner (name, rank, branch of service). After the proof with the signature is returned to the City, the banner will be ordered.
- Applications will only be accepted in the Business Office at City Hall.
- Banner placement will be solely at the discretion of the City of Portland.
- Please contact Brandon McGuire at City Hall, 615-325-6776 ext. 225 with any questions about the banner program.
Ways to Support the Portland Hometown Heroes Banner Program
Anyone may purchase or sponsor a Hometown Heroes banner provided the above requirements are met (application form, photo, and payment).
Contributions toward the program will be graciously accepted and appreciated. The City will use the contributions to support the banner program.